Table of Content
- What Data We Get
- How We Get Data About You
- What We Use Your Data For
- Who We Share Your Data With
- Your Rights
- Updates & Contact Info
1. What Data We Get
We collect certain data from you directly, like the information you enter yourself, data about your participation in courses, and data from third-party platforms you connect with. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using.
1.1 Data You Provide to Us
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services.
Below are some examples to help you better understand the data we collect.
When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide directly, including - Account Data, Profile Data, Shared Content, Course Data, Student Payment Data, Instructor Payment Data, Data About Your Accounts on Other Services, and Communications & Support.
The data listed above is stored by us and associated with your account.
1.2 Data We Collect through Automated Means
When you access the Services (including browsing courses), we collect certain data by
automated means, including - System Data, Usage Data, and Approximate Geographic Data.
The data listed above is collected through the use of server log files and tracking technologies, as detailed in the “Cookies and Data Collection Tools” section below. It is stored by us and associated with your account.
2. How We Get Data About You
We use tools like cookies, web beacons, and similar tracking technologies to gather the data listed above. Some of these tools offer you the ability to opt-out of data collection.
2.1 Cookies and Data Collection Tools
share data about your activities across websites, including on. They allow us to remember
things about your visits to, like your preferred language, and to make the site easier to use.
To learn more about cookies, visit https://cookiepedia.co.uk/all-about-cookies.
2.2 Why We Use Data Collection Tools
uses the following types of Data Collection Tools for the purposes described:
- Strictly Necessary: These Data Collection Tools enable you to access the site, provide basic functionality (like logging in or enrolling in courses), secure the site, protect against fraudulent logins, and detect and prevent abuse or unauthorized use of your account. These are required for the Services to work properly, so if you disable them, parts of the site will break or be unavailable.
- Functional: These Data Collection Tools remember data about your browser and your preferences, provide additional site functionality, customize content to be more relevant to you, and remember settings affecting the appearance and behavior of the Services (like your preferred language or volume level for video playback).
- Performance: These Data Collection Tools help measure and improve the Services by providing usage and performance data, visit counts, traffic sources, or where an application was downloaded from. These tools can help us test different versions of to see which features or content users prefer and determine which email messages are opened.
- Advertising: These Data Collection Tools are used to deliver relevant ads (on the site and/or other sites) based on things we know about you like your Usage and System Data (as detailed in Section 1), and things that the ad service providers know about you based on their tracking data. The ads can be based on your recent activity or activity over time and across other sites and services. To help deliver tailored advertising, we may provide these service providers with a hashed, anonymized version of your email address (in a non-human-readable form) and content that you share publicly on the Services.
- Social Media: These Data Collection Tools enable social media functionality, like sharing content with friends and networks. These cookies may track a user or device across other sites and build a profile of user interests for targeted advertising purposes.
3. What We Use Your Data For
We use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyze how people use our Services, serve personalized advertising, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity.
We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
- Provide and administer the Services, including to facilitate course participation, issue course completion certificates, display customized content, and facilitate communication with other users.
- Process instructor payments.
- Process your requests and orders for courses, products, specific services, information, or features.
Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns.
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors, students, and teaching assistants; notifications about changes to our Service; and updates to our agreements.
- Sending you information, such as by email or text messages, about your progress in courses, rewards programs, new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available courses (which you can opt-out of at any time).
- Sending push notifications to your wireless device to provide updates and other relevant messages (which you can manage from the “options” or “settings” page of the mobile app).
- Manage your account and account preferences.
- Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abuse.
- Solicit feedback from users.
- Market and administer surveys and promotions administered or sponsored by
- Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data through third-party data providers and/or analyzing the data with the help of analytics service providers.
- Identify unique users across devices.
- Tailor advertisements across devices.
- Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features.
- Analyze trends and traffic, track purchases, and track usage data.
- Advertise the Services on third-party websites and applications.
- As required or permitted by law, or
- As we, in our sole discretion, otherwise determine to be necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, the public, or our Services.
4. Who We Share Your Data With
We share certain data about you with instructors, other students, companies performing services for us, affiliates, our business partners, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, companies helping us run promotions and surveys, and advertising companies who help us promote our Services. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance, or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
- With Your Instructors: We share data that we have about you (except your email address) with instructors or teaching assistants for courses you enroll in or request information about, so they can improve their courses for you and other students. This data may include things like your city, country, browser language, operating system, device settings, the site that brought you to , and your activities on . If we collect additional data about you (like age or gender), we may share that too. We will not share your email address with instructors or teaching assistants. We also enable our instructors to implement Google Analytics on their course pages to track sources of traffic to their courses and optimize their course pages.
- With Other Students and Instructors: Depending on your settings, your shared content, and profile data may be publicly viewable, including to other students and instructors. If you ask a question to an instructor or teaching assistant, your information (including your name) may also be publicly viewable by other users depending on your settings.
- With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents: We share your data with third-party companies who perform services on our behalf, like payment processing, fraud, and abuse prevention, data analysis, marketing, and advertising services (including retargeted advertising), email and hosting services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
- With Affiliates: We may share your data within our corporate family of companies that are related by common ownership or control to enable or support us in providing the Services.
- With Business Partners: We have agreements with other websites and platforms to distribute our Services and drive traffic to. For example, we work with Benesse in Japan. Depending on your location, we may share your data with these partners.
- With Analytics and Data Enrichment Services: As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics and data enrichment services like ZoomInfo, we share certain contact information, Account Data, System Data, Usage Data (as detailed in Section 1), or de-identified data as needed. De-identified data means data where we’ve removed things like your name and email address and replaced it with a token ID. This allows these providers to provide analytics services or match your data with publicly-available database information (including contact and social information from other sources). We do this to communicate with you in a more effective and customized manner.
- To Administer Promotions and Surveys: We may share your data as necessary to administer, market, or sponsor promotions and surveys you choose to participate in, as required by applicable law (like to provide a winners list or make required filings), or in accordance with the rules of the promotion or survey.
- For Advertising: If we decide to use an advertising-supported revenue model in the future, we may use and share certain System Data and Usage Data with third-party advertisers and networks to show general demographic and preference information among our users. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data through Data Collection Tools (as detailed in Section 2.1), to use this data to offer you targeted ad delivery to personalize your user experience (through behavioral advertising), and to undertake web analytics. Advertisers may also share with us the data they collect about you. To learn more or opt-out from participating ad networks’ behavioral advertising, see Section 6.1 (Your Choices About the Use of Your Data) below. Note that if you opt-out, you’ll continue to be served generic ads.
For Security and Legal Compliance: We may disclose your data to third parties if we
(in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Permitted or required by law.
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding.
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legallyvalid request.
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues; or
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of , our users, employees, members of the public, or our Services.
- During a Change in Control: If undergoes a business transaction like a merger, acquisition, corporate divestiture, or dissolution (including bankruptcy), or a sale of all or some of its assets, we may share, disclose, or transfer all of your data to the successor organization during such transition or in contemplation of a transition (including during due diligence).
- After Aggregation/De-identification: we may disclose or use aggregated or deidentified data for any purpose.
We use appropriate security based on the type and sensitivity of data being stored. As with any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorized access, so it’s important to protect your password and to contact us if you suspect any unauthorized access to your account.
Takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction of your personal data that we collect and store. These measures vary based on the type and sensitivity of the data. Unfortunately, however, no system can be 100% secured, so we cannot guarantee that communications between you and, the Services, or any information provided to us in connection with the data we collect through the Services will be free from unauthorized access by third parties. Your password is an important part of our security system, and it is your responsibility to protect it. You should not share your password with any third party, and if you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should change it immediately and contact our Support Team with any concerns.
6. Your Rights
You have certain rights around the use of your data, including the ability to opt-out of promotional emails, cookies, and the collection of your data by certain third parties. You can update or terminate your account from within our Services, and can also contact us for individual rights requests about your personal data. Parents who believe we’ve unintentionally collected personal data about their underage child should contact us for help deleting that information.
6.1 Your Choices About the Use of Your Data
You can choose not to provide certain data to us, but you may not be able to use certain features of the Services.
- To stop receiving promotional communications from us, you can opt-out by using the unsubscribe mechanism in the promotional communication you receive or by changing the email preferences in your account. Note that regardless of your email preference settings, we will send you transactional and relationship messages regarding the Services, including administrative confirmations, order confirmations, important updates about the Services, and notices about our policies.
- If you’re located in the European Economic Area, you may opt-out of certain Data Collection Tools by clicking the “Cookie Settings“ link at the bottom of any page.
- The browser or device you use may allow you to control cookies and other types of local data storage. To learn more about managing cookies, visit https://cookiepedia.co.uk/how-to-manage-cookies. Your wireless device may also allow you to control whether location or other data is collected and shared.
- To opt-out of allowing Google Analytics, Mixpanel, ZoomInfo, or Clearbit to use your data for analytics or enrichment, see the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, Mixpanel Opt-Out Cookie, ZoomInfo’s policy, and Clearbit data claiming mechanism
- Apple iOS, Android OS, and Microsoft Windows each provide their own instructions on how to control in-app tailored advertising. For other devices and operating systems, you should review your privacy settings on that platform.
If you have any questions about your data, our use of it, or your rights, contact us at [email protected]
6.2 Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Data
You can access and update your personal data that collects and maintains as follows:
- To update the data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account at any time.
To terminate your account:
- If you are a student, visit your profile settings page and follow the steps detailed here.
- If you are an instructor, follow the steps detailed here.
- If you have any issues terminating your account, please contact our Support Team.
6.3 Our Policy Concerning Children
We recognize the privacy interests of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. Individuals younger than 18 years of age, but of the required age for consent to use online services where they live, may not set up an account, but may have a parent or guardian open an account and help them enroll in appropriate courses. Individuals younger than the required age for consent to use online services may not use the Services. If we learn that we’ve collected personal data from a child under those ages, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
7. Updates & Contact Info
When we make a material change to this policy, we’ll notify users via email, in-product notice, or another mechanism required by law. Changes become effective the day they’re posted. Please contact us via email or postal mail with any questions, concerns, or disputes.
we will notify you via email, through a notification posted on the Services, or as required by
applicable law. We will also include a summary of the key changes. Unless stated
otherwise, modifications will become effective on the day they are posted.